Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Nov. 3-4 Weekend Update

It is a couple of minutes past midnight on Sunday morning. I'm watching the Internet coverage of today's U.S. Olympic Men's Marathon Trials and I'm kicking myself that I wasn't there earlier today as there was no rain! Ugh!

(Congratulations to Ryan Hall, Dathen Ritzenhein and Brian Sell and how sad about the passing of Ryan Shay. Just a testament that things can happen to any of us at any time.)

Normally, I would throw caution to the wind and just do it; however, I thought that rain was going to be in New York City from Hurricane Noel. I had made it back to Houston on an earlier flight and was able to get reward travel into LaGuardia. I just didn't know how I was going to manage the rain with the cold and the wind.

So instead of going to New York City, I was able to get in an 8.48-mile run this morning with the Woodlands Fit half marathoners. (Karen, when I mapped mine, that is what I came up with!) It was a run that I needed to get in as I've recently fallen off the truck for about the 39th time over the last three or four years.

From a time standpoint, I wasn't happy. But I felt good out there.

Mile one was fast. Why? I was running with a guy who is in absolutely the best shape of his life, Rick Cook. After about 8 minutes, I told Rick that I needed to back off. I hit the 1.99-mile mark in 19:19.12 - which isn't my 5K best, but for where I'm at, it is OK.

Mile 2.72, I had backed off to 28:01.88 and by the finish, which was longer than Bill's "8 miles", I was in at 1:30:36, which was a pace of 10:41 per mile.

I've got to get back and doing at least an hour of something from here on in.

Fri., Nov. 2 - Ran 1.3 miles from the office (I had to go in for about an hour and a half at 4 a.m.) to breakfast. Walked back a good bit of that to Bally's where I went and hammered out an hour on the stationery bike.
Sat., Nov. 3 - 8.48 miles in 1:30:36, 10:41 per mile.

Bill had introduced Rick and I to the rest of his Woodlands Fit group before we got started. Of course, when you run 100 miles, you get a round of applause which Rick so richly deserved. :)

With me, they said, "Oh, the sportswriter!"

I had Waverly bring over both the award for the Montgomery County Triple as well as the medal for the Texas Independence Relay.

I held off the second group for about 2 miles while Rick was off chasing the first group that went off.

We had breakfast with Bill at Skeeter's and then Waverly and I later met with Bill this evening at Denny's in Spring as we're preparing for a really special situation in The Woodlands that will come up in October 2008.

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

It was great to see you Jon! And Waverly too! Hope to see you both more often.

I don't know what to say about the distance. My Garmin said 8.24. Maybe she's acting up??

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home