Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Tuesday Night Treadmill

Darn, I didn't succeed in getting anything in Sunday (fighting cold) or Monday (travel wiped me out); however, I made up for it this evening with an hour and a half run on the treadmill here at the Marriott Courtyard in Pasadena. I tried a couple of different things to mix things up since I knew that I was going to run between an hour and two tonight.

I started out at a very slow 3.5 mph, but I added 0.1 mph every minute until I got to 5.9 mph and needed to back it down. I walked for two minutes and started the progression again.

Somewhere around 41 minutes (in total time expired), I was on page 31 of this month's edition of Running Times and was reading about fighting fatigue in the 3,000-10,000 meter distances. It said, "Long intervals 3 to 5 minutes) increase the heart's stroke volume (amount of blood pumped by the heart per beat) and cardiac output (amount of blood pumped by the heart per minute), leading to an increase in VO2 max ..."

So, I threw in intervals of 3, 3 and 4 minutes before the treadmill got to an hour. Then, I ran another half hour starting at 4.0 mph and adding 0.1 mph each five (5) minutes.

And, actually, before I came back up to my room to shower before grabbing a late night breakfast at IHOP (which included an easy 1.25-mile walk to and from), I was completely soaked and I didn't really feel banged up.

For the record, I'm NOT running the HMSA Classical 25K on Sunday. I do know that Mr. Quarles will make his first appearance from Lufkin - and hope not to get pipped again by HARRA's Madame President, Anna Sumrall Helm.

However, I may find a race of some distance to go and do on Saturday. Not necessarily that I can do well at it, but just to get the rust off. And I'm thinking that the Asics Texas Twenty in Dallas isn't going to be one that I choose to do. :)

Actually, I really need to slug out a marathon and get back in the groove.

Congratulations to Cassie for finishing the ING New York City Marathon on Sunday. I know I e-mailed all of our Texas Independence Relay teammates once I saw the result. Of course, Sarah had her and Jen Kim's times plugged in. I should have known. :)

As I was walking back from a late dinner, I stated to contemplate a number of things. Two of which were December's Footprints and the wealth of friends that I have.

Edwin really wrote a nice piece about the Houston Striders' Brett Riley. (Of course, I had to update it a bit at the end to reflect Brett's superb finish in New York City on Sunday -- 14th American male and a new PR ... I think by a second if my research was correct.)

He also stepped up and wrote the Brazosport Area Road Runners Association (BARRA) report in a pinch. I cranked out club reports for The Woodlands Running Club (TWRC), Finish Line Sports (FLS) as well as Team In Training (TNT), with an assist from Bill Dwyer, plus I wrote event coverage of the United Space Alliance 10-Miler and the Koala/Luke's Houston Half Marathon.

In addition, we have our normal columns from Anna and Dr. Bob Hoekman.

I'm really proud of the product that we put out. (To be honest, I want to make sure that I'm doing a better - as an editor - than the Dallas Running Club and the Austin Runners Club.)

I also couldn't help but think tonight of the incredible friends that I have. Some of you know of a struggle or two that I face in my personal life - and I'm not talking about those who tend to be a little bit jealous of some of the opportunities I've been given - and your friendship really makes some of the rough times bearable.

I'm really looking forward to the Texas Independence Relay in March, but there are still so many more good times leading up to that.

I get to work with Bill and Rick in putting together the Montgomery County Triple! (Check out the new blog that Rick set up for it.) We've asked the folks with the Davy Crockett Bear Chase to give out a free entry to a random finisher from the Fall version. Seven Hills Running Club's Ken Johnson has agreed - if the Bear Chase does - to give away a free Huntsville Half Marathon entry to a random finisher from the Spring version (which only requires you to run three Montgomery County 5Ks in consecutive weeks).

I was wondering the other day if Sarah was planning on taping "Go Sarah" to the outside of her running top again this year as she runs the Chevron Houston Marathon. (At least this year when I hear it, I'll already KNOW who she is!)

I'm looking forward to hanging out at the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on New Year's Day. Rick's going to punish himself with four brutal laps on concrete, but Steve and Paula Boone really make it a fun morning to be a part of. They are really some very kind people.

And Bill and I are working on something really, really cool.

Alright, enough rambling, have a great Wednesday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

thanks Jon

I'm looking forward to TIR too!

7:08 AM  
Blogger David said...

Jon, ya talked me into it (the MC3), I'm signed up for 2 of 3. Completing the triple depends upon how early I decide to leave town on Saturday ...

10:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Heck yeah I'll be wearing a sign. I actually still have the one from 2005 -- it's on my wall at work. Maybe I should just use that one again!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What's your secret to running the treadmill, Jon? I trained on a treadmill almost exclusively for one Houston winter, but the experience was one I'd rather not repeat.

Now I need to find Edwin's piece.

http://www.takeitinstride.com

9:16 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Brett,

I have to have something to read.

And, of course, when I get running hard, that sort of flies out the window.

Have Steve put you in touch with Elias Deetfels (sp). He told me once that Elias does most of his training on a treadmill.

What was really intersting was watching one of the Flotrack pieces with Brian Sell at his home in Michigan and he said that he trained a lot of the winter after tweaking a hamstring slipping on a patch of ice.

Edwin's piece isn't going to be "out" until the December edition of Footprints. I'll try and send you a soft copy.

Jon

9:23 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Bummer, I'm going to be in Chicago for Thanksgiving.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home