Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Fifty Wasn't Nifty at Scott and White Half Marathon

In fact, half marathon no. 50 was just plain hot and humid. 80 at the start and at least 85 at the finish!

My heat and humidity training right now is at 10 miles. A long way to go to face a late fall, hot marathon, but I'm thinking of discussing a strategy with my coach. He might have to help and log some miles on his .. Ok, I'll call it magenta .. Dave Scott bike.

Cover your eyes folks as this was definitely NOT "Lou Wilson" weather today.

2:49:04. Yikes! [I walked most of 10 to 12.5 in. I was starting to lose a lot of salt. I could see it pooling on my legs at the bottom of the front of my shorts. And just not too long ago here in the hotel room, I started to cramp really, really bad.]

The Scott and White Community Wellness Half Marathon is really a nice event. Even though Jeff Galloway was in attendance to celebrate the completion of their training group's efforts in Temple, this was really a no-frills event ... but with one of the nicest medals I've ever received.

At a minimum, it is continued field research for my half marathon feature coming up in the September issue of Inside Texas Running - which is where my column will switch to. (I go from being in the same publication with Jon Warren and Greg Lautenslager to Scott Eppelman and Dick Beardsley.) Nice company to share either way.

More later, but here's the damage report:

Mile 1 -- 10:24.90
Mile 2 -- 10:46.86 (21:11.76)
Mile 3 -- 10:45.72 (31:57.48)
First leg -- 3:10.44 (35:07.92)
Mile 4 -- 8:12.97; 11:23.41 (43:20.89)
Mile 5 -- 12:03.93 (55:24.82)
Mile 6 -- 12:09.05 (1:07:33.87)
Second leg -- 6:27.55 (1:14:01.42)
Mile 7 -- 7:16.47; 13:44.02 (1:21:17.89) *Burned some time talking to Galloway
Mile 8 -- 12:37.09 (1:33:54.98)
Mile 9 -- 12:51.50 (1:46:46.48)
Third leg -- 11:27.33 (1:58:13.81)
Mile 10 -- 3:34.45; 15:01.78 (2:01:48.26)
Mile 11 -- 15:56.42 (2:17:44.68)
Mile 12 -- 16:19.63 (2:34:04.31) *Talked with a guy for a good bit of these two miles
Mile 13 -- 13:53.17 (2:47:57.48) *Half way through decided to shuffle it in
Last .1 -- 1:06.65 (2:49:04.13)

The course was a double out-and-back. Primarily flat; one small hill. Three aid stations. Roads not closed, but low volume and pretty well controlled. Volunteers were excellent. Some places not a lot of shade from the sun and the heat.

Although I carried a water bottle, I couldn't offset the loss of salt with the small cups of Gatorade to prevent slosh in the stomach either. It just goes to tell me that I have more work to do in these types of conditions.

It makes you wonder how I ran 2:23 in Parkersburg, West Virginia on a hilly course with no sleep after a delayed flight and only do 2:49 on a basically flat course in Temple on 3 hours sleep after a 3-hour drive.

This is a crazy sport that we're in.

The best line would be a Rick Cook one: "Hey, it wasn't the time that you wanted, but you finished."

4 Comments:

Blogger Vince A. said...

I was thinking about you today - briefly considered dragging Mike up there to run the half but I / we wanted our sleep too bad. Did 14 in the high heat at home and body temperature got up to 187 degrees. Don't feel bad about the time, you got the miles in and finished in the heat, we'll be well set for fall, and it'll be here in no time. congrats.

11:57 AM  
Blogger K said...

I was thinking of you in this heat, Jon. My daughter lives in Temple and I seriously considered driving out there to run with you, but I couldn't pull it together quick enough.

Amazing finish considering the conditions. I was dying on my 5 mile trek through Burroughs Park which was nicely shaded!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

holy cow, it must have been crazy hot and huimid. I can't imagine running in worse weather than we did when we ran P-burg together. In fact, I prob wouldn't run in those conditions, so kudos to you for that. I'm not doing P-burg this year b/c I'm doing Iron Babe here. At least in the tri you are wet after the swim. That helps!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

50 Half's! That's quite an accomplishment! Congrats.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home