Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Every Other Day

Goodness knows that I'm not even posting every other day!

Thu., Nov. 8 - 1:00 on the stationery bike (Pasadena).
Sat., Nov. 10 - 1:20 on the treadmill (The Woodlands).
Mon., Nov. 12 - 1:00 on the stationery bike (Pasadena).
Wed., Nov. 14 - 1:20 on the treadmill (Pasadena).

I'm going to try and run some more tonight. The latter two workouts were a bit easier so improvement is being had somewhere. It's not what I'd like, but life - and work - has got me a little whipped right now. :)

I was trying to look and go do something long this weekend (regardless of the time) just to push myself. Obviously the two halves in early October (ugh, a pair of 2:38s) and then the one the following week in Huntsville (2:29) didn't carry over through the rest of the month. However, I can't make the logistics work for either Tulsa, Oklahoma or Overland Park, Kansas. (If they were 7 a.m. marathon starts ... possibly.)

There's a lot going on right now. I don't even have the time to adequately recap it.

I'll be doing the Montgomery County Triple next week so I look forward to seeing everyone out at one or all three of those events. (The 3rd annual City of Conroe Turkey Trot 5K even made the Chronicle today!) Hopefully, we'll get some cooler temperatures for all three!

But through it all, I'm pretty fortunate. I have great friends!

I get to write in the newspaper once a week! (Not that makes me anything special, but it is pretty neat. Even at the age of 40.)

Our December edition of Footprints looks really solid. I made edits to the proof this week. (Edwin: Thank you for what you do to make the product first class.) Anna really writes well in addition to having the great columns of Dr. Bob Hoekman, HARRA's Medical Director.

I get great assistance from a lot of the clubs, and I'd love to have another four (4) pages but I need money to make that happen.

Even though I know what it is going to look like, I can't wait to get my Inside Texas Running in the mail to see what my content and Patrick Leung's layout is going to look like on black and white.

Back to my crazy life, here's a quick recap on what's been going on week-to-week:

Sat., October 13 - Ran Huntsville Half Marathon (well, if you want to call it running). More importantly, Waverly sang the National Anthem! (Thanks Ken!)
Sun., October 14 - Travelled with Juliee Sparks, Bill Dwyer, Waverly and Kim Hager down to the United Space Alliance 10-Miler in Clear Lake. Watched Kim come in third. She ran really well and barely missed out on second to Dawn Domaschk.
Sat.-Sun., October 27-28 - Did about 17.5 miles in doing a pre-inaugural Texas Independence Relay course run with Jay and Joy Hilscher. It should be on their site next week ... a "race report", if you will.
Sat., November 3 - Did 8.5 with Bill's Woodlands Fit half marathoners. Well, I went out with Rick Cook a blazing for the first mile (in around 8-per) then had to back off.
Sat., November 3 - Watched the U.S. Men's Olympic Trials on the Internet. (Should have been there in person, but oh well!)
Sun., November 11 - Went to the HMSA Classical 25K downtown and ended up manning a bullhorn for about two hours and 45 minutes. (Edwin and Holden had rough days, but it is why there are more than just one race in our life. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that to somebody like Brian Sell.)

That gets me caught up a little. I may have replicated something. If so, I apologize.

Oh, Waverly got her materials for the ACT last last week, which she is taking on Saturday, December 8th. I'm pretty excited for her ... a 7th-grader taking the ACT. (Sort of like two of my friends -- Cassie and Sarah -- who have shared their thought processes with me of what to expect from a parent's perspective.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home