Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday Night Treadmill Run and San Antonio

Scheduled Departure Time from LAX - 3:05 p.m. Central time
Garage Parking Receipt - 6:56 p.m.
Exxon Gas Receipt - 7:20 p.m. (Think I buy Citgo? Hell no!)
Treadmill at Bally's - 8:10 to 9 p.m.

Fifty (50) minutes. Started at 4.3 mph, went 10 minutes and then took it .1 mph each five minutes until I got to 5.0 mph. Completed that cycle through 40 minutes, went at 5.5 mph for another five and then 6.0 mph for 2.5 minutes and 6.5 mph for another 2.5 minutes. (Why the rush at the end? Well, I know that Dwyer - although he may not have the endurance (unless, of course, he's sandbagging on us with his training information) - still has wheels.)

And I get to do battle three times next weekend. :)

San Antonio? Well, I've signed up for my first Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. The deadline was midnight to register at the $65 price. And I got in a few minutes ago. (Bill's signed up for this already too. Plenty of time for him to get ready.)

I'm starting to get my energy back. I think my plans for the upcoming weeks are as follows:

Thu.-Sat., Nov. 22-24 -- Montgomery County Triple (5M, 5K and 5K)
Saturday, December 1 -- St. Jude Marathon, Memphis, Tennessee (State No. 10 - Anybody want to go along and run it?)
Saturday, December 8 -- Sunmart 50K, Huntsville
Sunday, December 9 -- (Hang out at ...) Sugar Land Lakes at Williams Ranch 30K
Sunday, December 9 -- Jingle Bell Run 5M (with Waverly), Houston
Saturday, December 15 -- Wildkat 5K, Willis

After that, we'll see!

I'm even thinking about opening up this blog -- albeit "Houston Running 2" -- to the public. However, my personal running - times and training (what ever you call it) -- will stay here.

1 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

May I suggest not calling it '2'. You might get people wanting to know if there is a '1' (for those that aren't regular followers). Or just not "Houston Running #2". I could just hear, "Wow, this blog is right...it's full of #2."

Call it something else. That's all I have to say about that.

Good luck at SA. May I suggest you make a reservation at the Marriott Riverwalk. I stayed there last year on the WEST side and the sunset, with the nice green lighting on the Frost Bank building just was absolutely gorgeous. The check-in girl said because I was a Marriott Rewards member, I could get the west side view.

I left the drapes open all night. Just gorgeous.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home